Settling

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dear Blog,

I am sad.

I just spoke to my mum. And she gave me a long lecture on me having to start thinking about my future since I'm coming back to Malaysia soon. She scolded me for not having any savings, and for spending half of my salary every month on shopping and traveling (after deducting the half that I give to my dad) and not saving for rainy days. She said that I have to start thinking about buying a house or even just a car, bcz I'm already 27 with not a single asset to my name. Yes, my hundreds of clothes, shoes & handbags are apparently not assets. Duh.

I told her why bother, it's not like I have any dependants, and there is no prospect in heaven or hell of me ever having a family of my own at the rate my luck is going pun. So why bother? I'm single, I'm sure I'll end up alone anyway, so why can't I live for myself, and use my money for myself. Why do I have to save for the "future" when I'm certain as hell that I don't even have a "future". Why can't I just live for today and be damn happy about it??

I did save money for my future (wedding) before, and where is that future (wedding)?? It up and left me by sending a text message saying "dengan sangat berat hati saya terpaksa lepaskan awak", that's what it did and that's where it went. So why open myself up to another disappointment?!

Then she said that what about her & my dad? What if anything were to happen to them. they both don't have insurance. And both me and my sister doesn't have enough savings (my only savings consist of the few thousand or so that UIA still owe me and my pathetic balance in ASB). Well...that made me sadder than ever. Yes, I'm a horrible daughter. I'm a failure. I'm a horrible failure. HORRIBLE.

Fine. You know what I'll do. I guess I'll just relent ma, and let you finally matchmake me with that kerabat Perak you've been going on about. Who cares if I have an allergy towards rich guys (bcz they think they can get anything and do whatever they want). Who cares if he's not my taste (yes, everyone keeps saying my taste sucks anyway looking at my track record). Who cares if I don't like him. I've turned down a lot of guys already (tak a lot sangat lah pun, 5 je) in this past year and a half of me being single. Waiting for someone who I can actually like. But then, when I finally found someone I like (by pure accident), he wouldn't even give me the time of the day pun. And I'm tired of waiting for him to contact me or ask me out. I'm tired of waiting.

So maybe it's in everyone's best interest for me to just settle for this guy. At least he's rich and you don't have to think of what will happen to our family in an emergency anymore, rite ma. Maybe that's best. I'll just grit my teeth and go on with it. Even if I'm not happy, at least I can make everyone else happy. And happiness is overrated anyway.

So fine, I will settle. This is me settling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aliza, saving is not only for that future ok? =).

anyway, a car is not an asset. better beli rumah. kita kan nak jadik jiran. dgn ayu sekali. =D. only if u don't settle with that kerabat la. aku tak mampu nak beli rumah area org kaya! heheh!

ARADIA said...

Hehe atie, I know saving is not only for 'that' future. But kalau 'that' future does not happen, it means aku takkan ada anak pinak nak kene tanggung kan, so biarlah saving aku sekadar cukup untuk tanggung diri sendiri and for me to be able to do whatever that makes me happy kan. I know that sounds selfish, but if fate had dealt you a bad hand, you just have to think for yourself from now on, rite!

Mari mari, booking rumah sebelah menyebelah =)